Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I AM

 

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:14 NASB)



Many of us learn that God referred to Himself as I AM when Moses asked for His proper name. What exactly does I AM mean? In the English look at the verb AM . AM is the present first singular of the verb be. To be means one exists or has life. The first level of understanding is acknowledge that God Exists. He says so. I AM/I EXIST.

Still that is a bit vague. We know He exists. So there has got to be more to this. For that let's take it back to the Hebrew.
"ehyeh asher ehyeh"

While this has been translated as I AM WHO I AM it is understood in Hebrew as "I breathe and I have breath". According to Jeff A. Benner, this word breath or breathe is synonymous with spirit. We know that God is a Spirit, He is the Great Spirit. His Spirit exists! There was nothing before Him!

In other words, God is letting us know through His Holy Name that He is the Great Spirit who Exists -- "I AM WHO I AM"


Further Reading: The Sacred Name of God

No comments:

Post a Comment