Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Bible Verses to Ease the Troubled Spirit

Ansdell Richard Lost In The Storm.jpg

Face it. Life is hard at times. Some days, weeks, months, and even years seem like everything and everyone is against you. You feel all alone with no one or no place to turn to for comfort. Fret not. There is comfort to be found in God's Word. Here are five inspirational Bible verses that have helped me out during those times of despair.

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart - Ps 37: 4 NIV
Delighting in anything when you are in despair seems almost impossible. However, we are to take delight in the things we do have. I learned to find delight in the fact, that while my troubles were great, they paled in comparison to those of others. For me this caused me to take joy in God for sparing me from an ordeal that I may not have been able to withstand.

The more you take joy in God, the closer you get to your desires being fulfilled. Sometimes these desires are fulfilled at once and at times they are fulfilled in increments. The end result is the same; God has given you what you desired.

I have been young and now am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging bread. - PS 37:25 KJV
Many get the word righteous confused, it simply means good. A good person from God's viewpoint means one who strives to be obedient and repents when he or she transgresses. A good person is not abandoned or forsaken by God. Even through times of despair God is there.

I can attest to this in my own life. My mother struggled raising me and when I was growing up, getting assistance from the state was not as easy as it is now. There were times when we did not know where our next meal was going to come from. God is so faithful in His word that I can say I have never gone a day without having food available for me to eat.

God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through? Numbers 23:19 NLT
Sometimes during our despair it is not that we are not aware of the promises God has made, but rather we have lost faith that God will come through for us. It is then we need inspirational scripture to remind us that God will come through. This one scripture always reminds me that God will do what He said. Not what we always wanted but what He said He would do. Many people have failed me and disappointed me, but God has never done so. This inspirational Bible verse serves as a reminder to look back and see if God has ever failed you.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 NIV
For me this is perhaps the most comforting inspirational Bible verse during times of despair. When despair comes, our hearts are heavy, our minds are burdened, and our spirits are restless. Knowing that Jesus is ready for us to come to Him so He can give us rest from our despair, from out burdens is wonderful. Sometimes talking things out with Jesus, unloading all of our emotions, regardless of how raw they may be and then seeking comfort in scripture, is often the best solace.

I've had times where I felt lower than the ground. I began to come to Jesus and pour my despair out to Him. I would then read my Bible and feel at peace. My eyes would be dry, I would feel content, sometimes joyful, and was finally able to get rest.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. John 10:10 NASB
Sometimes our despair comes because it seems like or it may very well be that others are seeking to bring us down. On the job, the atmosphere can be cut-throat, people we trust stab us in the back, and those we love hurt us in ways we never imagined. These acts come and rob us of our peace, steal our joy, and destroy our trust. This inspirational Bible verse reminds us that things do happen, but Jesus came to set our lives right again. Not just right, He came to make sure we have a fulfilled life.

There are plenty of inspirational Bible verses for despair and other situations in life. Each verse can hold a different meaning for each person. Sometimes a specific verse may be what God sends your way to provide the healing, comfort, or joy that you need for the moment. If you do not have a Bible, there are plenty of online Bibles and some available for download for you to read. Seek and you shall find.


Image Credit:
"Ansdell Richard Lost In The Storm" by Richard Ansdell - Art Renewal Center. Licensed under Public domain via Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment